Thursday, March 1, 2012

Tot Spot Thursday

I couldn't let a Thursday go by without posting something for the Tot Spot! This isn't what I was planning this week, but in honor of Dr. Seuss' birthday tomorrow, I thought I would share some ideas. My kiddo is still a little young to appreciate the fun rhymes of Dr. Seuss, but we can still have some fun with it. There are millions of ideas for slightly older kids out there on the web. Do a google search or search Pinterest. I'll put a few links at the end for you too.

Before I go on, I wanted to tell you what I believe this Tot School is all about. I have realized that people have been stressing trying to make things perfect and create fancy activities, but that really isn't the point of this. The point is to provide your toddler with age appropriate experiences that are fun and engaging. We do this by setting up specific materials to explore, toys to play with, and activities to try. The most important thing to remember is that it should be FUN! Please don't stress out, don't spend a lot of money, and don't go crazy! Also, you should be careful to have NO expectations of how your kiddo will interact with the things you provide. It's simply an opportunity for them to have fun while exploring textures and materials.

Here is how Liza's sensory table looked last week:

I know you're jealous of my pink tiled kitchen floor :)

We ended up adding some packing peanuts that came in a package that the hubby got in the mail. 

Today, I switched it out. I save most things in ziplock bags so that I can change it up whenever I feel like it or whenever Liza loses interest in certain materials.

Katey let me know that one of our faithful readers (Hi Kate!) requested that I do something Dr. Seuss-ish. The kiddo was napping so I had to work with what I already had around the house.

Here is what I came up with:


I know it doesn't look like Dr. Seuss, but it works for something put together in just a few minutes.

In honor of Green Eggs and Ham, I put out an egg carton and the Easter eggs from last week. I didn't have a lot of green eggs, but you get the point!

I didn't want to pull out the vacuum to get all the leftover oatmeal out during naptime!


In honor of One Fish Two Fish, I pulled out some pipe cleaners and foam fish with magnets that I already had and put out the little fishing poll that comes with a puzzle we have.


That's it! Simple and didn't cost me a penny! Just the way I like it. If I had colored pom poms I probably would have added them too!

If Liza was older, I probably would have thought ahead and planned a little more. Check out my pinterest board for some ideas that I found. 

I'd LOVE for you to share any Dr. Seuss-ish ideas that you do with your kiddo! Please email, comment, or leave it on our Facebook page.

This is the only reason that our cat, Tacy (named after my favorite series as a kid: Betsy-Tacy) is allowed to live in my house! She is so awesome with Liza!



I hope you have a wonderful night! Wasn't Katey's post interesting? I thought it was pretty cool :)

XOXO Sarah

2 comments:

  1. Sarah I think that your blog is awesome...Your such a great mom and a beautiful woman both inside and out! I look forward to following you on simply mommies and I know that not only will I benefit from your advice but my kids are going to appreciate all of your tips ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE IT! Linked to this article through mine today. I absolutely would have never thought ofthe fiishing pole from the puzzle but it was inspired ;). I love seeing what you do for the table of the week, it is such a great idea. I really wish we had somewhere to put our sand table inside...and I wish it wasn't so dirty!

    ReplyDelete